Skip to main content

Bout of Books Read-a-Thon No. 20


In getting a feel for where I'd like this blog to go, and because I happened to catch an online read-a-thon at the cusp of a new go-around, I decided to participate in the Bout of Books Read-a-Thon (it's #20!). Or... Maybe because I'm a first-timer to any kind of organized blogging event, I'll say "participate loosely" because I'm not sure how it will work for me one way or another.

I plan to update this post daily with page counts, links to anything relevant, favorite quotes, likely some read-a-thon participation stuff, and maybe some other things I come up with as I go. This will be a little experiment in seeing how much I can get myself to read and to see how I like joining in on blog events like this.

Unrelated to Bout-of-Books but popping this here anyway:

Consider checking out PaperbackSwap.
I'm not affiliated, but I do think it's potentially a great way to unload
books that others are looking for and you collect swap points
in return to request any available book you want.
(Hardcovers available too!)

And away we go... Well, away we go starting 8/21 @ 12:01a.

Monday - August 21

Reading Material
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Pages Read
19—feel a tad sheepish about this, but I did spend the day multitasking like crazy.

Favorite Quote(s)
  • "Is it because we're having so much fun at home we've forgotten the world?" — How close to home does this hit?
  • I liked the line describing an upset Mildred as "sitting there like a wax doll melting in its own heat" merely because that's a very accurate description of me throughout most of the summer.
  • "Faber sniffed the book. 'Do you know that books smell like nutmeg or some spice from a foreign land? I loved to smell them when I was a boy."
  • "The good writers touch life often. The mediocre ones run a quick hand over her. The bad ones rape her and leave her for the flies."
  • "... somehow we think we can grow, feeding on flowers and fireworks, without completing the cycle back to reality."
  • "After all, when we had all the books we needed, we still insisted on finding the highest cliff to jump off... We do need knowledge. And perhaps in a thousand years we might pick smaller cliffs to jump off."
Notes (Possible Spoilage)
  • The introduction of Faber was a warm and welcomed relief! It felt like meeting an old, close friend after a long, long period of loneliness. And he offered a voice of intelligence and reason. This coming from one character that actually isn't a cold, hollow shell of a person.
  • A book I'd meant to read (and had owned) for at least 10 years, I'd never even read a snippet of this classic. And I didn't expect this novel to describe the current state of things so accurately. But the dumbing down, the lack of attention spanning any period longer than three minutes, a society's choice to read less and less... To name a few of the similarities. When reading 1984, another novel that reveals a strange, unfamiliar kind of world... It felt like a looming possibility of danger in the far future—too far to take serious or instill any immediate fear. But Fahrenheit is different because it feels unfamiliar in ways, sure, but the portrayal of the general masses is very on the money in a very scary way. If 1984 seemed like a far distant possibility, Fahrenheit in many aspects seems like a hop, skip, and a jump away.

Comments

  1. Bout of Books can be as intense or as laid-back as you want to make it. I usually go for the latter. ;) Welcome aboard and have a wonderful week of reading and blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the welcome, Katherine. Here's to a great week of reading for you!

      Delete
  2. I love how you tracked your favorite quotes! I read 120 pages yesterday, but with classes starting up today at university I suspect I will be right there with you in that 19 page range!

    https://reachingwhilerooted.com/2017/08/22/bout-of-books-monday-progress-report/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how you guys in college are doing it! In fact, college kind of dulled my love of reading for awhile. And books were my LIFE prior to then. Anyway. I'm super impressed that you'd take on a Readathon while starting school. I guess the first week would be the best week to do it, though. Good luck with your first semester!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cat's Cradle

I read half of Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut Jr., took a long break for no real reason and then just finished it. This will not be any sort of proper review, but I enjoyed this book a great deal. I had owned my copy--a very old, very,  very tattered Dell Publishing print from 1973--for a long time before I finally read it. Of course it was enjoyable--filled, as it were, with cynical humor and a wild, crazy-ass ending. I particularly loved a small bit of dialogue near the end between the narrator and Newt Hoenikker. It had less to do with making a connection to the overall novel as it did with making a connection to myself, personally. ... 'I am sick and tired. . .'"  "That comes pretty close to describing how I feel most of the time." "Maybe that's the way you're supposed to feel."

(Sort of) Nameless Author of a (Sort of) Nameless Blog (For Now)

I keep starting new blogs. I've blogged in one way or another for many years now. Rooted back when no one had yet blogged but everyone had an online journal . I feel a sense of real nostalgia for those days. Reading the posts of people writing about nothing and everything. Online journalers winging it with crude, no-frills HTML to varying degrees of success... ... But now I start blogs and I abandon them. I do so in an attempt to find something that fits. I go wrong in a few different ways. Trying too hard to focus in on one topic, letting the blog cover too many topics, getting too self-righteous, trying too hard to be too neutral, lack of passion due to sometimes crippling depression........ I could go on. This one I started without a real title, without my name, and without a photo. In all honesty, trying to name another blog was irritating me plain and simple so I figured I'd back burner it for now. In terms of being anonymous, the idea struck me as enticing. Mayb